Camille Graeser

1892 Carouge, Switzerland - 1980 Zürich, Switzerland

Weiss - Grün Volumen 3 : 1, 1974 / 78 Acrylic on canvas 120 x 120 cm

Tektone Kräfte, 1947 Ink and oil on canvas 24 x 64 cm

Blau - Orange Volumen 1:1, 1/8 blau bewegt, 1974/77 Acrylic on canvas 120 x 120 cm

Mit offenen Bezirken, 1955 Ink and tempera on paper 36.4 x 51 cm (unframed) 51.5 x 66.5 cm (framed)

Konkrete Formation, 1955 Ink on paper 36.4 x 51 cm (unframed) 51.5 x 66.5 cm (framed)

Komplementär betonte raumgleiche Elemente, 1963-1965 Oil on canvas 54 x 36 cm

Polare Permutation, 1967/70 Acrylic on canvas 120 x 120 cm

Zartes Lineament, 1949 Ink (quill) on structured watercoloured paper "Sihl Superbus" (browned) 36 x 50 cm, Paper

Trapezoid - Staffel, 1942 Ink (quill; black, red, green, purple, and brown) on yellow paper 55 x 40 cm, Paper

Polarisation II, 1959 Oil on canvas 56 x 32 cm

CAMILLE GRAESER

In 1911 Graeser enrolled at the course for fur­ni­ture and inte­rior design at the Königliche Kun­st­gewerbeschule (Royal School of Arts and Crafts) in Stuttgart. On the side he made draw­ings and paint­ings that veered towards abstrac­tion. In 1918 he was accepted into the Deutsche Werk­bund (a Ger­man asso­ci­a­tion of artists, design­ers and indus­tri­al­ists) and took part in the exhi­bi­tions of the asso­ci­a­tion. In 1933 Graeser returned to Switzer­land and four years later he turned his full atten­tion to Geo­met­ric Abstrac­tion. He made sys­tem­atic paint­ings, using few but vari­antly manip­u­lated geo­met­ric ele­ments and strik­ingly bright colours. Since 1950 Graeser, together with Bill, Loewen­berg and Lohse, has been con­sid­ered one of the lead­ing rep­re­sen­ta­tives of Con­crete Art in Switzerland.